From the One Perfect Shot team and our followers, a collection of the most beautiful shots from the movies of 2017.
This is it. Our final entry in our annual Year in Review series the #2017Rewind. We’ve saved the best for last especially for our readers and followers who have long adored the work of One Perfect Shot. In the year-plus that we’ve been in charge of the One Perfect Shot brand, we’ve learned a great deal about what these followers love, hate, and believe in when it comes to celebrating the beauty of cinema. It’s important to recognize that this list below belongs as much to our wonderful followers — many of whom made suggestions for this list — as it does for us.
That said, it was up to the FSR/OPS team to finalize this list and we’re very happy with the results. Below you will find shots that represent standalone beauty in cinema, shots that recall specific emotions from some of the year’s most powerful films, and a few that you may not have seen before. We dug deep. But we also have a few disclaimers and stray observations:
- Each film is limited to one shot for the purposes of this list. Otherwise, it would be a bunch of shots from Blade Runner 2049 drowning out everything else. That movie is beautiful.
- We did not see every movie in 2017, so this is by no means a perfect representation of everything. We did see a lot of movies though, so it’s pretty comprehensive.
- There are films from which the best shots aren’t currently available. For example, there’s a shot we love from The Last Jedi that is both not available to us and a massive spoiler. You know the one. We couldn’t have that one, so we picked another shot we love, instead. Phantom Thread is also in this category.
- We are aware that a number of these shots include visual effects elements. Shout out to all the VFX wizards who made them possible.
- The list includes plenty of the cinematographers we’ve long admired — Roger Deakins, Bill Pope, Larry Fong, Darius Khondji, Rachel Morrison. But it also includes a bunch of exciting newcomers, including Toby Oliver, Alexis Zabe, Elisha Christian, and Matthew Jensen. We can’t wait to see what these DPs do next.
- We also can’t wait to chat with you about all of these picks. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook, where we’re be sharing them all individually in the coming days.
- We’re sure we missed a few and we know you’ll all be more than happy to tell us about it. 😉