Update: According to Latino Review, Martin Freeman will play an interrogator with some connection to Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War, and he will also appear in that character’s solo movie coming out in 2018. The guess is that his specific role is the comics’ Everett Ross, a US government official and expert on Wakanda.
Marvel officially announced that Martin Freeman has joined the cast of Captain America: Civil War, the highly anticipated comic book movie opening exactly one year from today. But the role to be played by the actor, best known for the Hobbit trilogy and TV’s Sherlock and Fargo, was not revealed.
That could mean that his character is a secret or it could mean that his character isn’t someone prominent or familiar to most people, similar to how Julie Delpy and Linda Cardellini’s attachment to Avengers: Age of Ultron had people imaging one or the other as Captain Marvel only to eventually see that the actresses had less-significant supporting roles.
Here are some suggestions seen around the web for whom Freeman could be playing in Civil War, excluding all the joking responses that he’s playing Spider-Man, who is set to make his MCU debut in the Captain America installment.
1. Henry Peter Gyrich — A government official appointed by the National Security Council as their liaison to the Avengers, he’s also known for his hatred of super-powered people. He’s been portrayed very briefly (and was killed) in the first X-Men movie, but apparently the MCU is allowed to use him, too.
Have a strong feeling that Martin Freeman is playing Henry Gyrich in CIVIL WAR. (And yes…Marvel can use him.)
— Shawn Madden (@notshawnmadden) May 5, 2015
2. Norman Osborn — This suggestion comes from Cinema Blend: “What if Marvel cast Martin Freeman as Norman Osborn, and is putting him in place for possible use in the untitled Spider-Man movie for 2017?” If so, Freeman would follow Willem Dafoe and Chris Cooper as the Oscorp Industries head who becomes the Green Goblin. It’s hard to imagine Marvel would make room for the character in this already heavily populated movie.
3. An Average-Joe Love Interest — They did it to Chris O’Dowd in Thor: The Dark World, so why not this other British sitcom veteran? Freeman is a bigger deal than O’Dowd, of course, but I wouldn’t put it past a movie this huge to sideline the actor as some regular dude trying to date Black Widow as she tries to move on from her feelings for the Hulk.
4. Rintrah – One of a number of possibilities highlighted at Comics Alliance, the green minotaur is an ally of Doctor Strange, which seems to be the only reason for his suggestion. See, then Freeman would get to play opposite his Sherlock co-star Benedict Cumberbatch in the Doctor Strange movie. I don’t think he has any relevance to Civil War, though.
5. Captain Britain — Because Freeman is British. But he had only a slight role in the comics version of Civil War. And, well, just no.
And here are more from Twitter:
Obviously Martin Freeman is playing Hercules in Captain America Civil War pic.twitter.com/8j0tsyL6m3 – James Adie (@jameslikesowls) May 6, 2015
This post was originally published on May 6, 2015.