A quick preview of the next Game of Thrones episode, complete with photos and some Maester-like speculation work.
After last Sunday night’s episode, “Home,” Game of Thrones fans are flying high. For many, it’s because we were all right about that thing. For others, it’s the sheer joy of a season that is delivering a lot of payoff.
For more on that episode, read my weekly Game of Thrones Explained column.
We can now turn our attention to the next episode, “Oathbreaker,” which is written by showrunners Dan Weiss and David Benioff. It is directed by newcomer Dan Sackheim, best known for his work as a producer and director on shows like The Americans, The Walking Dead and House M.D. As per usual, the official synopsis isn’t giving us much: “Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) meets her future. Bran meets the past. Tommen confronts the High Sparrow (Jonathan Pryce). Arya (Maisie Williams) trains to be No One. Varys (Conleth Hill) finds an answer. Ramsay gets a gift.”
Much further down, I’ll make some irresponsible predictions as to what all of this means. For now, we also have images, including this one of still-blind Arya back in the Unitarian Murder Church known as The House of Black and White:
NO! Keep Qyburn away from those kids…
Daenerys does more walking, but probably with less cat-calling.
The Three-Eyed Raven is outside again! Flashback time!
Cersei and Jaime, still on the show. Is it me or is Cersei’s hair growing exponentially between episodes?
Something appears to have Ser Davos spooked. I wonder what that might be. #JonSnowLives
After a visit from our Prince of Spoilers, I’ll do some predictions based on the synopsis, because that’s fun. For more reckless speculation and crackpotitude, don’t miss the latest episode of A Storm of Spoilers.
Let’s revisit this synopsis for a moment:
- “Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) meets her future.” As a member of the Dothraki Widows Society. Is it too early for Drogon to show up and burn that mother down around his Mother? As we learned last week, it’s never too early for anything with this show.
- “Bran meets the past.” Tower of Joy! Tower of Joy! Tower of Joy! R+L=Get Hype!
- “Tommen confronts the High Sparrow (Jonathan Pryce).” Also known as “the part we’ll forget to talk about in next week’s recap.”
- “Arya (Maisie Williams) trains to be No One.” A no-one ninja.
- “Varys (Conleth Hill) finds an answer.” The answer is 42. Or he’s the leader of the Sons of the Harpy. Both might be true. Either way, someone is getting (little) fingered for the Harpy uprising.
- “Ramsay gets a gift.” Please don’t be Rickon Stark. Please don’t be Rickon Stark. (It’s probably Rickon Stark – hello, Pink Letter!)