“24″ Airs Monday Night at 9/8c on Fox
Synopsis: Jack has to tell Chloe about his infection; Tony stages a bin Laden-esque message for his captive Muslim; Olivia Taylor gets involved with a shady man, asking him to do an equally shady thing; Henry Taylor gets transferred from the hospital to the White House.
Review: Man, I hate to say it – but that was truly a horrific episode. It almost reached Season 6 levels of Suck.
Here’s 6 Reasons Why: 1. Jack’s chronic pain may make for some good drama, but it’s getting f*cking irritating. At this point Agent Walker is almost criminally incompetent to go into the field with an obviously dying man as her partner. Jack’s sickness is distracting.
2. Olivia Taylor. MAN, I hope she gets her comeuppance soon.
3. Aaron Pierce. Normally, I love this “24″ staple, but all he’s done this entire season is open up doors and give Olivia a shifty look. Where’s the Aaron Pierce we loved from Season 5 and what happened to his ability to say anything else except “yes, ma’am.”
4. The stabbing at the end. Sure, the Muslim kid is upset that they’ve turned his brother into a bad guy. But, the first thing you do when help comes to your aide is break a mirror and stab some bitch in the throat?! Come on! I know this happens occasionally on “24″ so that Jack can’t question “his only lead,” but eventually finds an even better lead within the same hour. Lame. No one would react like that, it’s as if that kid knew the FBI were about to break in to the house.
5. Jack/Muslim relations. Jack almost loses it on a Muslim that gives him lip and later on that very same man forgives Jack and even goes so far as to tell Jack to forgive himself. YES – We’re aware that this season has been about Jack’s redemption, but we don’t need this – especially when it comes from a character whose rights were violated at 4:00 in the morning. I would be pissed.
6. Hodges. Gotta admit I didn’t see the ending coming, but I have lost some respect for Jon Voight over this 12 episode (or so) run he’s had. It’s just been awful. Him dramatically throwing papers at the door was the icing on top.
Other than that, it was just a boring episode. I liked the actor that played Jibraan and his scene telling his brother that he is a terrorist was some pretty powerful stuff. Jack telling Chloe that he’s dying was a pretty well-acted scene as well. Besides that, I wish they’d give Walker some stuff to do. For the last 3-4 episodes all she’s been doing is giving puppy eyes at Jack.
Bottom line, there’s only three episodes left, one next Monday and two the following Monday and I don’t want to see them pull crap like this again: I don’t know if they were trying to go with a calm before the storm type of feel or not but this just felt like an episode that needed to happen earlier in the season. At this point they have too many plotlines to clear up and I’m starting to suspect that they’re just going to sweep Jack’s illness under the rug or at least infer that he’ll get that operation with Kim’s DNA done after the ending of the 24th hour. Then we’ll have a renewed Bauer for Season 8 who has a newfound respect for life.
I’d love it if “24″ could surprise me and end this season in a way that won’t seem cliche or predictable, I just don’t see that happening. Unless of course, Jack really is dying and next season is the very next day: That’s the one thing they haven’t done on “24.”
What did you think of this week’s episode of 24?