Combing through movie news and trivium all day is enough to make someone jaded. Thus, it’s important to remember when a piece of fluff marketing like this comes out, to keep a level head about what it really means.
Does it say anything about the movie itself? Not really. Does it say something about the photoshop skills of whoever made it. Certainly.
With that in mind, here’s the first official cast picture from X-Men: First Class, showing off a little midriff on January Jones, a little stone cold stare from everyone else, and a whole lot of cheese.
This looks bad. The opposite of good.
Here’s a handy guide to who’s who (from left to right):
- Michael Fassbender as Magneto – Pre-helmet.
- Rose Byrne as Dr. Moira MacTaggart – Nobel-winning expert in genetic mutation.
- January Jones as Emma Frost – Sporting, naturally, some duds from Frederick’s of Hollywood.
- Jason Flemyng as Azazel – Nightcrawler’s daddy.
- Nicholas Hoult as Beast – Looking sort of like the blue Hulk here.
- Lucas Till as Havok – Cyclops’s plasma-blasting nephew younger brother.
- Zoe Kravitz as Angel Salvadore – An ice-blasting left hand, a fire-blasting right, and acid spit. Not bad.
- Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique – Keeping the classic movie make-up in tact.
- James McAvoy as Professor X – Standing!
Of course, the film takes place at the very spawning of the mutant movement, back when Professor X and Magneto were still best friends and allies in a war they saw coming. One wants to make peace, the other wants to dominate. Emma Frost just wants to slink around in almost nothing and be a bitch.
The movie could end up being cool as hell, but this picture is bush league. It’s worse than some of the fan made stuff we’ve been sent. In fact, if a fan out there can make a better cast teaser picture and send it to us, we’ll publish it and give you some sort of prize.
X-Men: First Class is in session June 3, 2011.
What say you, internet?