With the biggest summer movie season ever, you could easily say that the studios are a bit happier now than they were in April. Now that it is the end of August, they are already looking towards Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Boxing Day. It wasn’t enough that almost $3.9 Billion in ticket sales were generated this summer, Disney and Universal are looking to prepare us for the next big DVD releases as well.
Disney plans on releasing this summer’s Pixar hit Wall-E on November 18. So mark your calendars, because there will be two versions (as indicated so far) including a single disc and a triple disc set. Blu-Ray details have not surfaced yet, or pricing. Word is though, that the triple disc set will include “suite of special features about the film’s robot heroes, including Web vignettes and an interactive storybook, and a detailed documentary on Pixar.” Also, expect a digital copy of the film within the triple disc set.
A bit sooner on the calendar, The Incredible Hulk will smash his way into your house with three different DVD versions on October 21. You will be able to purchase a single disc version which will contain the film and deleted scenes. Now on to the good stuff.
Three-Disc Special Edition DVD (Limited Time)
- Alternate Opening
- The Making of THE INCREDIBLE HULK: An in-depth look at the making of the blockbuster film, featuring interviews with Edward Norton, director Louis Leterrier, and producers Avi Arad, Kevin Feige and Gale Anne Hurd and the entire cast and crew. The documentary covers the film’s innovative take on the character, look and storyline, as well as the casting process, production and profile of director Louis Leterrier.
- Becoming The Hulk: This featurette focuses on Edward Norton’s approach to the iconic role and the incredible visual effects employed by award®-winning studio Rhythm & Hues to create the character on screen.
- Becoming The Abomination: From the first motion-capture session to the visual effects at Rhythm & Hues, viewers go behind the scenes with actor Tim Roth and watch as he transforms both his mind and body into the super villain known as The Abomination.
- Anatomy of a Hulk Out: Behind-the-scenes looks at three of the movie’s most exciting action sequences:
- Hulking Out in the Bottling Plant – Go inside the first action sequence of the film where both viewers and the army are given a glimpse of the Hulk to come.
- Hulking Out on Campus – A behind-the-scenes look at the creation of a Hulk action sequence, featuring airplanes, guns, and even a sound machine.
- Hulking Out in Harlem – From pre-visualization animatics to visual effects, this featurette shows how filmmakers created one of the largest action sequences in Marvel film history.
- From Comic Book to Screen: See the incredible comic books come to life courtesy of narration, sound effects and “living” panels of action.
- Feature Commentary With Director Louis Leterrier And Cast
- Digital Copy of THE INCREDIBLE HULK: Compatible with PC, Mac or iPod.
- Deleted Scenes
Bonus Features for Two-Disc Blu-Ray, Collectible 3D lenticular packaging (Limited Time) -
- U Control: Universal’s exclusive signature feature, U Control puts viewers one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever interrupting the movie, through animated comic book panels, storyboards, early renderings of the visual effects, interactive cast and crew interviews and exclusive information about the characters, back story, and The Incredible Hulk physics.
- Thunderbolt Files – Explore the top-secret files of the forces hunting The Hulk with this interactive feature that takes you deeper into the movie – without ever leaving the film.
- Scene Explorer – Discover the secrets behind the special effects! Explore all the individual layers that go into an effects-intensive scene with this unique Blu-ray feature.
- Comic Book Gallery – Enjoy a Hi-Def experience of the classic comic book images that inspired key shots in the movie.
- BD-LIVE FEATURES – Blu-ray and Playstation3 players with an Internet connection can access exclusive interactive applications that allow viewers to communicate with friends and family while watching the film:
- My Chat – Just plug your player into your Internet connection and connect to BD-Live to chat with friends while watching the movie and conduct your very own private screening discussions.
- My Scenes Sharing – Share your favorite clips with your buddies through the BD Live Internet connection
One of the things that I am particularly pumped about with the Hulk DVD is the audio track will be DTS. For any of you DVD junkies out there, you know that DTS audio is fantastic. So be sure to make your calendars, because you will have a long Christmas list for all of the summer’s best movies on DVD.