In a way, it’s sort of sad to see the director of Ali G Indahouse and The Big White (that frozen corpse comedy) make a romantic comedy that’s so by the book they might as well have looped print pages through the projector.
Anna Faris plays a woman scared to death of having sex with one more man because, gasp, a poll shows that 96% of women who sleep with 20+ people end up as old spinsters. But she wants true love!
So let’s all play a game. See how many cliches you can spot while watching the trailer for What’s Your Number?:
Here’s what I caught:
- A wedding to go to
- Seemingly friendly partner in crime who will eventually become the love interest
- “How many relationships do I have to have before I meet the right guy?”
- A former flame that’s cleaned up his act and is winning at life
- A string of creepy guys
- The gay ex
- “I feel like everyone else is moving on with their lives!”
- “How do you know what you want? You don’t know who you are!”
- Thomas Lennon playing a gynecologist who only recognizes women by their vaginas
So I made that last one up, but the others are solid. Plus, the acknowledgement that “you can’t just live life by the numbers” near the end is an especially strong slap in the face for a movie that didn’t take it’s main character’s advice.
How many did you spot?