I tuned into the trailer for the new flick Whiteout in anticipation that I would get to see the lovely Kate Beckinsale in a lot of really sexy snow gear. What can I say? Growing up on the beach made me tired of bikinis.
But luckily I was in for so much more – like a bitchin’ geography lesson about Antarctica from a guy with an awesome robotic voice. Here’s what I learned:
- Antarctica is at 90 degrees latitude and 0 degrees longitude.
- Antarctica is the most desolate land mass on the planet.
- Antarctica has no official government.
- Antarctica has no permanent population.
- Antarctica’s tourism board is a fucking failure.
- The state bird froze to death last year.
Check out the trailer and learn a little something yourself:
Is the concept great? Yes. Does the trailer make it look stupid? Totally. I was waiting for the voice over announcer to say, “In Antarctica…no one can hear you scream…because it’s snowing really heavily!”
Whiteout is actually based on the comic of the same name from Oni Press and follows a U.S. Marshall investigating a murder, tracking clues through several ice stations, being in almost constant danger from the killer and the cold. In my mind, it’s like Fargo but far, far, far colder.
And it hits theaters on September 11, 2009. So try and remember that.
What do you think? Should Neil have bet me that I couldn’t use the word “Antarctica” 8 times in one post today of all days?