Anyone who has seen the trailers and any clips from Pixar’s new film WALL-E cannot deny the extreme level of cuteness that little robot possesses. Throw in the even more futuristic iPod-looking Eve, and you’ve got one heck of a cute animated couple.
Over the years, there have been quite a few cute animated couples, and these are the ones that top the list.
10. Shrek and Princess Fiona from the Shrek films – These two have persevered through three films – some parts better than others. But the twist on the kiss-the-princess fairy tale reminds us that even us fat and ugly people can find true love.
9. Jack Skellington and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas – What’s more heartbreaking than a lonely skeleton on Halloween? The answer would be a female Frankenstein rag doll longing for that skeleton on Christmas Eve.
8. Beauty and the Beast from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast – This film was the only animated movie to be nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards, and much of this goes to the warm and endearing chemistry between Belle and the beastly Robbie Benson.
7. Pongo and Perdita from 101 Dalmatians – This early 1960s classic Disney film introduced us to an incredibly sophisticated pair, and we’re not talking about the humans Roger and Anita. Pongo and Perdita were adorable because they were dogs, but they also had that high-class British sensibility.
6. Homer and Marge Simpson from The Simpsons – As much as Homer is a doofus and Marge is a saint for putting up with them, they truly love each other. Completely undignified and utterly unrefined, Homer and Marge are possibly the most realistic cartoon couple out there.
5. Batman and Catwoman – Isn’t it ironic that millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne finds his best girl when he’s wearing spandex and a mask?… And she is too! Catwoman is one of the sexiest anti-heroines in the comic books, and while not necessarily cute, she’s a worthy placement on this list with Batman.
4. WALL-E and Eve – The entire first half of WALL-E will get you to fall in love with two robots falling in love. They barely speak a lick of English, but we understand their relationship perfectly.
3. Mickey and Minnie – Possibly the oldest couple on the list, these two Disney rodents have set the bar for animated relationships. Are they married or not? (After all, they have the same last name.) And where did all their nieces and nephews come from?
2. Popeye and Olive Oyl – Here is one of the oddest pairs on the list, yet their attraction to each other in undeniable. Like the Simpsons earlier in this discussion, they are more interesting when they’re fighting, ‘cause we all know they truly love each other.
1. Lady and the Tramp – Sure, they’ve had only one major movie (and a direct-to-DVD sequel), but no one else in animation has as iconic of a relationship based on one simple scene. We’ll never look at spaghetti and meatballs the same way again.
Peppermint Patty and Marcie – Lesbians around the world have found comfort in Peanuts’ first in-the-closet, don’t-ask-don’t-tell couple for kids’ cartoons.
Woody and Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story – Seriously… in a Bert-&-Ernie, non-sexual, homo-erotic, non-judgmental way.