No matter where I turn, no matter what decade, MGM’s Hot Tub Time Machine is there. From billboards to TV spots to posters to strange envelopes showing up in my mailbox. Like any cautious citizen, when I saw the brown package with a postcard taped to it with my name on it, I shook it violently then opened it while holding it near my face.
I was greeted with the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. Now, we don’t often cover soundtracks but once I read the track listings, I knew I had to give this is a special shout-out. I’ll give you the listing, you see if you can spot the awesome.
- Louder Than a Bomb (Back Into Time) – Public Enemy
- Perfect Way – Scritti Politti
- The Safety Dance – Men Without Hats
- What You Need – INXS
- Modern Love – David Bowie
- I Will Dare – The Replacements
- Push It – Salt ‘N Pepa
- Bring On The Dancing Horses – Echo And The Bunnymen
- Save It For Later – The English Beat
- True – Spandau Ballet
- Jessie’s Girl – Craig Robinson
- Bizarre Love Triangle – New World Order
- Once In A Lifetime – Talking Heads
- Home Sweet Home – Motley Crue
- Let’s Get It Started – Craig Robinson
If you picked Modern Love by INXS, you’re right. But you should have kept reading to notice not one, but two Craig Robinson tracks – Jessie’s Girl and Let’s Get It Started. Both are prominently featured in the film, performed by Robinson, and are excellent performed and the joke of Let’s Get It Started resonates well. If you’re an avid 80s fan like me, there isn’t much new on here that you wouldn’t already have except the Robinson tracks – which are great. If you’re just finding out how awesome 80s music is, this might be a good mix to start with.
What’s your favorite 80s jam?