As you may know, not all of us made it all the way to San Diego for Comic-Con this year. However, our own West Coast editor Robert Fure did make it to the big Con, where he was witness to a few awesome panels and activities. Among those awesome panels was the Marvel Studios presentation of Iron Man 2.
Director Jon Favreau and Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige were on hand to show off the first footage for the upcoming superhero sequel. Included in the footage was the following:
- Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) eating a donut while sitting atop Randy’s Donuts. Up walks Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, yelling “Sir, I’m gonna have to ask you to exit the donut!”
- Tony Stark and Nick Fury interacting inside the donut shop, talking about Stark joining Fury’s “team,” to which Fury responds “I remember, you do everything yourself. How is that working out for you?” Stark then makes a quip about Fury’s eye patch.
- A scene in which a Senator (played by Gary Shandling) is trying to convince a federal court that Tony Stark should surrender the Iron Man suit, as it is property of the United States government. Stark responds by saying that it’s not a weapon, but a high tech prosthetic extension of himself. “I am Iron Man, the suit and I are one. You can’t have it!”
- A montage that is voiced over in a Russian accent, “You come from a family of thieves and butchers…” The montage includes shots of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow doing some ass-kicking, Tony Stark having a big party with girls dancing in front of an American flag, and finally: the first look at Whiplash. Mickey Rourke stands as the Russian villain in his big Whiplash suit on a race track, powering up his suit and swinging his electrified whips violently.
- Another scene that shows Iron Man flying at night, dodging missiles just before the Iron Man 2 logo appears.
- A final extra sequence that shows Col. Rhodes (Don Cheadle) in a hanger with a suit that looks similar to Tony Stark’s Mark II armor. With him is Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell), a rival weapons developer of Stark. Rhodey presents the suit to Hammer, who then shows him an assortment of weapons to be attached to the suit. A quick cut and War Machine is revealed, firing the various automatic weapons attached to his suit.
According to those who witnessed the footage, it was all the awesome that we’ve come to expect from Jon Favreau’s young franchise. For a first hand reaction from our man Robert Fure, check out the video below. Iron Man 2 is scheduled to hit theaters on May 7, 2010.