This week, on a very special episode of Reject Radio, champion foosball player Kevin Smith joins us for the most sobering, introspective interview the man has given all week.
Jokes aside, no topic is out of bounds, so we ask the tough questions about Sundance theatrics, taking Red State out on his own, his animosity toward critics, and retiring from filmmaking (but not from storytelling).
If you’re a Smith fan, you’re probably already clicking Play. If you’re one of the people that lost some respect for the man during the past year, his appearance here will do a lot to earn it back.
No, we don’t find time to review Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, but we do dig in for 105 minutes on the state of distribution, the future of his own films, and how it ties in to his past.
On This Week’s Show:
Segment Three – Kevin Smith…
- On show openings [0:00]
- On becoming a true indie filmmaker [4:00]
- On advice from Edward James Olmos [8:00]
- On spending to open movies [12:00]
- On the theatrics of Sundance [15:30]
- On getting Red State MPAA rated [22:00]
- On not being done when the movie’s done [26:00]
- On the brilliance of Guess Who [29:00]
- On not even recognizing Kevin Smith anymore [30:00]
- On critics [34:00]
- On the lack of risk in distributing Red State himself [36:00]
- On the animosity toward critics [40:00]
- On feeling attacked by the press [43:00]
- On recognizing the error of his ways and apologizing [51:00]
- On retiring because he’d rather talk [53:00]
- On owning the chocolate milk factory [55:00]
- On not having anymore scripts in him [58:00]
- On what has to happen for him to feel like a director [65:00]
- On working with the cast of Red State [68:00]
- On trying to get everyone he’s worked with before for Hit Somebody [70:00]
- On writing Red State (in 3 days) and Satanic cult movies [73:00]
- On throwing your hat over the wall [82:00]
- On Phelps, politics and Westboro Baptist [84:00]
- On why Red State is horror [93:00]
- On the tour, the math, and the difficulties [96:00]
- On figuring out the wide release [103:00]
Don’t forget…next Sunday our guests will be Rob Hunter, Vic Holtreman from Screen Rant, and John Nolte from Big Hollywood. We’ll be talking about politics and film. Just in time for President’s Day!
And in two weeks…our infamous Reject Oscar live-blog. Gird your loins.
Reject Radio Airs Live Sunday Nights at 10p EST / 7p PST
- Watch Live at FilmSchoolRejects.com/Radio
- Call Reject Radio: (512) 212-1301
- Email Reject Radio: email@example.com
- Reject Radio on Twitter: twitter.com/RejectRadio