I realize that we aren’t the type of site that usually runs casting rumors unless we do so while pointing out how ridiculous the concept of casting rumors is, but this one struck me as particularly interesting. More on why in just a second.
Newspaper of record Los Angeles Times has a blog of record called Hero Complex that’s reporting several whispers that the announcement of who will play Bilbo Baggins for Guillermo del Toro’s The Hobbit will come at Comic-Con next week. The site has also thrown out a few names that it keeps hearing in regards to who might be filling the hairy feet of the role – Daniel Radcliffe, James McAvoy, and David Tennant. So basically two Harry Potter alums and a guy who can curve bullets.
Here are a few reasons on why this rumor is interesting and makes some logical sense:
- We reported that McAvoy had the inside track on the casting a year ago. In theory, he could still be in the running.
- As for timing, the production is slated for a 2011 release, and considering its nature, will take a while to shoot so announcing a lead actor makes sense right about now.
- Comic-Con is a huge venue to make that announcement and get more buzz for the flick.
- Producer Peter Jackson will be at Comic-Con this year for District 9 (I believe Robert Fure plans on having drinks with him).
- And David Tennant will be at Comic-Con for “Dr. Who.”
- I have no idea if Radcliffe’s name being on the list makes sense, but Half-Blood Prince just came out, and productions like launching news on top of big releases.
- But if production starts later in the year, the schedule might not work at all for Radcliffe who is finishing up Harry Potter 7, 8, 9 and 10.
All three would make really great Bilbos I think. There’s no confirmation at all on whether this list is accurate in any way, though, but if it is, it’s definitely solid. Which I’m not surprised by. After all, I think we’ve come to expect excellence from Guillermo del Toro – especially in the realm of casting and performance. Let’s just say that he probably won’t be casting Ryan Reynolds as Bilbo Baggins.
What do you think? Who would make the best Bilbo?