What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly column about movies that is comin’ at ya, like an adrenaline-crazed bike messenger doing 50 down Broadway…
We begin this evening with a new image from Zero Dark Thirty featuring some rough and tumble types who are about to go in and take down that Bin Laden guy. This Kathryn Bigelow directed ditty is going to be one hell of a ride, if any of her previous works are any indication.
1. Maniac gets a Midnight deal – Elijah Wood in a remake of William Lustig’s cult classic serial killer thriller? Who wouldn’t pick that up for distribution? Everyone but IFC Midnight, that’s who.
2. Why is Louie such a remarkable show? – Tell us, Vulture’s Matt Zoller Seitz, tell us!
3. Dan Castellaneta explains the “D’oh!” – The man behind Homer J. Simpson explains the origin of the world’s most famous yellow dad’s most iconic of sayings.
4. Total Recall: Bicycle Movies – Jeff Giles over at Rotten Tomatoes runs us through a number of movies that involve bicycles, in honor of this week’s major release, Premium Rush. For the record, Premium Rush is way more BMX Bandits than any of the other movies on the list, for all the right reasons.
5. More Girl, More Tattoo, 2014 – In a recent interview, screenwriter Steven Zallian said that he’s still plugging away at adapting the second book in Stieg Larsson’s epic Dragon Tattoo series, “The Girl Who Played with Fire” for David Fincher. The slow going will lead to a movie sometime in 2014, if we’re lucky.
6. 13 creepy captions from movies that let us know it’s the future – I’m sorry, good friend Meredith Woerner at io9, I know this list isn’t really in any kind of order, but putting the Max Headroom “20 Minutes Into the Future” caption so far down the page feels like a minor criminal act. I still adore you, but come on!
7. No surcharge for 48fps Hobbit – It’s been confirmed that you’ll get all of the frames at whatever speed you like for the same price. That is if you can find a theater near you that’s displaying it in the higher-than-thou format.
9. The EXXXpendables – The folks at NextMovie imagine a world in which porn’s elite — from Peter North to Jenna Jameson and Sasha Grey — teamed up for a big bang (get it?). For the record, I’ve never seen any of these people in my life.
10. Breaking Buds - “Breaking Bad movie comes out next summer!!!” was the tweet from star Aaron Paul alongside this Vulture-created poster for Breaking Buds. In the words of the Internet, LOLZ…
11. “The Right Hand,” red band – Screenwriter and author Derek Haas has a new book coming out, a spy thriller called “The Right Hand” (Nov. 13) that’s about a few CIA agents in various stages of the job. In support of the book, there’s this R-rated trailer. It’s NSFW, you dirty lit nerds.