What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly news column that will not be ignoring Comic-Con, because the world does not ignore Comic-Con. It will also try to remain unbiased and report the news, not seethe with jealousy over all the cool things that some of you will be seeing in its absence.
We begin tonight with a nice little tease of what’s transpiring inside the San Diego Convention Center. Those traveling down for the big show — including our own Robert Fure, Kate Erbland, Brian Salisbury and a special correspondent who snuck onto our contributors page under the cover of darkness — will meet some big-ass Game of Thrones banners (found courtesy of @DustinMSandoval).
1. Comic-Con attendee killed in traffic collision – In a bit of terrible news, a 53-year old woman was killed earlier today while lining up outside the San Diego convention center while waiting to get a good spot in the line for Hall H, which does not open until Thursday. It is said that attendees of Thursday morning’s Twilight panel, the event for which she was trying to get a good spot, “can expect a tribute and a moment of silence.”
2. Comic-Con bingo – If you’re heading down to Comic-Con, please be safe. Also, you may want to play a little Comic-Con bingo, as created by Mike Yamada and Victoria Ying:
3. 4 Reasons Hollywood Sucks (And It’s All Our Fault) – The team at Cracked.com have a new list about all the ways Hollywood has and will continue to wrong the gentle masses of America, but they do get points for illuminating upon a theory in which I believe strongly: the fault lies with you and I, friends. Mostly with you, but with us all the same.
4. Mondo at Comic-Con – Justin at Mondo has put up a handy blog post explaining to fans of the art purveyor the who, what, when and where of their Comic-Con situation. Including the three Game of Thrones prints that debuted online today, Mondo will have 15+ new prints to sell exclusively at Comic-Con. Who wants to be my poster buddy?
5. Drew Struzan comes out of retirement – Mondo also talked today with /Film, revealing that legendary poster designer Drew Struzan is going to be working with them again. Here’s hoping it has something to do with their Lord of the Rings series (can you imagine a Struzan Hobbit poster?)
6. Iron Baby – Because it’s Comic-Con week, you’re going to be seeing a lot of cosplay, and this video from Patrick Bolvin is excellent. And because I don’t need a reason.
7. Inside The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack – Hollywood.com’s Matt Patches goes deep inside the latest score from Hans Zimmer, guestimating plot points that could go along with the music. What a nerd.
8. How much of a fantasy is Aronofsky’s Noah? – Peter Hall explores the graphic novel series created to sell the Darren Aronofsky film Noah to the folks at Paramount. This definitely isn’t the story you learned at Sunday School.
10. Why Nikola Tesla was the greatest geek who ever lived – The Oatmeal celebrates the birthday of Nikola Tesla (today he would have been 155 years old) with a great comic.
11. 4D movies are coming – The folks at Mashable report on the future of movies… Or hopefully not.