On tonight’s Movie News After Dark, we start with a few words on the Netflix Streampocalypse that will undoubtedly be wreaking havoc on your life, then move on to this week’s big stories: Iron Man, Marvel, Iron Man, Marvel, Thai Iron Man.
- Pain & Falcon – The first green-screened image of Anthony Mackie on the set of Captain America: The Winter Soldier has hit the web, leading off our coverage of the movie world this evening. He plays Sam Wilson, The Falcon. So far we don’t get to see much, just Mackie looking tough.
- Goodbye, Netflix titles – As we mentioned last night, Netflix is dumping almost 2,000 titles (some good, some Barb Wire) from its library over the course of May. In a statement today to The Verge, Netflix said that this is normal and that it’s all part of their strategy to become a more focused programmer. It will not be a one stop shop for everything. Not now, probably not ever.
- The Anti-Blockbusters of Summer 2013 – While many of us are excited for the big movies set to come out this year — as we showed with our Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2013 list — the intrepid folks at Pajiba are looking at the anti-blockbusters, the indie-level films that you can see while everyone else is getting their special Iron Man 3 RealD 3D glasses. I’d highly recommend Drinking Buddies.
- What about a Marvel/Star Wars Crossover? – My good friend Peter Sciretta at /Film was asking the tough questions at this past week’s Iron Man 3 junket. Will Disney and Marvel ever make good on Patton Oswalt’s wild pitch for a crossover movie? Kevin Feige seems to be playing coy, but we know what he’s really thinking… Summer 2048 or bust.
- Why Shane Black was once Hollywood’s hottest screenwriter – If you don’t know his story, you may be asking yourself, why is everyone all psyched up about Shane Black being the man behind Iron Man 3? Vulture lays out more than a few examples of what makes Black a killer scribe.
- Why reviews are weird – Film Crit Hulk talks at great length about the problems with movie reviews and the best way for you to enjoy Iron Man 3. As always, he’s an essential read, all-caps styling aside.
- This sweded Iron Man 3 trailer from Thailand is… – Well…
…sort of awesome.