What is Movie News After Dark? It’s the ongoing saga of one man’s quest to catalog every great movie and TV-related link the blogosphere has to offer. It happens on weeknights, just before bed time, and you should read it often. Share it with your friends, even.
We begin tonight with a first look at The Way, Way Back and its stars Steve Carell and Sam Rockwell, who will get in front of the camera for Jim Rash and Nat Faxon the Oscar winning duo behind The Descendants and two men who have acted their way into your hearts in various other properties. In the case of Rash, it was as the Dean on Community. The NYT has a great piece on the pair and their upcoming film.
1. The Real Story Behind Stan Lee’s Marvelous Nude Centerfold – Over at Movies.com, Mike Bracken wins the gold for today’s most interesting and clickable headline. This Stan Lee picture has hit the web and well, it’s working in its quest to arouse the interest of nerds.
2. 10 Awfully Re-Imagined Movie Characters – JoBlo explores some of cinema’s most tragic remake victims, including but not limited to the time Adam Sandler took on a role once made great(ish) by Burt Reynolds.
3. Redefining “Chick flick” – Sarah Katz over at Screen Invasion has it on her mind to change the perception around the phrase “chick flick,” a term that I’ve always found endearing, if somewhat sexist. I was raised by a woman who proudly made me watch many a “chick flick,” and it’s made me the half-man momma’s boy I am today.
4. Black Zenga – Syriana writer/director Stephen Gaghan has offered the role of “Black Zenga” in his upcoming film Candy Store, currently in production at Lionsgate, to none other than Christoph Waltz. If that isn’t the best character name of the week, I don’t know what is…
5. Is this the final series of BBC’s Sherlock? – I sure hope not, especially as Stephen Moffat begins tweeting hints about the upcoming third series. Rat, Wedding, Bow, was all the showrunner had to say. Over at Badass Digest, Devin Faraci uses his nerdness to make educated guesses as to what that all means.
6. What does Nic Cage’s Ghost Rider look like when his head is not on fire? – Screen Crush gives us a look at some deleted and unfinished scenes from Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, including a good look at what Cage looked like before some VFX headfire was added. It’s just as frightening as what ended up on screen.
7. James White’s Terminator – A new poster from an artist I like. And since this is my column, I’m just going to leave this right here…
9. When Harry Met Inception – Someone thought it would be a good idea to mash-up When Harry Met Sally with Inception. As it turns out, it definitely wasn’t a bad idea.
11. Star Wars Detours – This is not going to end well…