What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly column about movies that may or may not be skimming the good stuff off the top of tonight’s news sundae because it needs to go get caught up on Breaking Bad. Don’t worry, there’s still plenty happening…
We begin this evening with an image of Forest Whitaker as Eugene Allen in The Butler. The Lee Daniels directed film focuses on the long-time White House servant and will also star the likes of Oprah Winfrey, Robin Williams, John Cusack and Alan Rickman.
1. North by Northwest – The folks at Art of the Title profile one of my favorite Saul Bass designed title sequences of all-time. That of Hitchcock’s North by Northwest.
2. Asylum of the Daleks – A new trailer has emerged for the upcoming season premiere of Doctor Who.
3. How to write a bad review – For those who want to review things for a living, Salon has some suggestions. It’s not a bad bit of insight, to say the least.
4. All female, all expendable – Dutch Southern (isn’t he a t-shirt guy?) has been brought on by 1984 Defense Contractors (a production company, I suppose) to write a script for an all-female Expendables film. “Several prominent actresses” are said to be in talks. What if we just dressed Sly and the boys up in drag and did a To Wong Foo version?
5. Captain America’s new lady – Joe and Anthony Russo, directors of the next Captain America film, are on the town looking for a leading lady. They’ve apparently set their sights on Anna Kendrick, Imogen Poots and Felicity Jones. All of which are formidable talents.
6. THX 1138 by Martin Ansin – The following poster, as designed by the incredibly talented Martin Ansin, is for one of those George Lucas joints from back in the day, before he went crazy. It would make a gorgeous companion to Ansin’s Brazil print that Mondo put out not long ago.
7. The Worst Rap Songs Written for Movies, Vol. 1 – Movies.com has let Scott Weinberg go crazy with this one. I mean seriously, what’s the guy got against Bobby Brown’s song from Ghostbusters 2? We gotta gotta take control.
8. 10 questions burning in Westeros – HitFix unleashed 10 big questions for the upcoming third season of Game of Thrones. And by “upcoming,” I of course mean “that thing that will happen next year.”
9. Plan B – There’s been a lot of chatter around Reject HQ about Fantastic Fest these past few days. It’s coming. And as glorious as this year will be, it will have to be something special to live up to the year that audiences were met with my face on the big screen as the first image of opening night. Wait, what? Some of you haven’t seen it? Well, I suppose it’s time to bring it back for another viewing…