What is Movie News After Dark? The title seems pretty self explanatory, at least where the topic of conversation and timing are concerned. You should also note that it happens every night of the week and is read all around the world. Thanks for joining in on the fun.
We begin tonight’s rundown with an image of Ron Perlman visiting Zachary. Who is Zachary? You might ask. He’s a six-year old boy currently undergoing treatment for leukemia, whose Make-a-Wish desire was to “meet and become Hellboy.” The folks at Spectral Motion, the creature effects shop of Guillermo Del Toro, and Perlman were more than happy to oblige. And here’s a tissue…
1. Can we build the Starship Enterprise? – Mashable explores the practicality of building the future’s biggest, awesomest exploration vessel. If the answer turns out to be yes, I hope that happens soon. I’ve been practicing my Bones impression for years with this in mind.
2. Five New Ways that Hollywood is Making Money – Not that you should really care about Hollywood’s revenue streams — unless you own stock in a major studio or its parent company — but it is interesting to see where they’re going to be ushering you and your pocket book. Also, growth in VOD would actually be a great thing for fans.
3. Where to start reading Spider-Man – I absolutely love AV Club’s Gateways to Geekery series, a dedication to extending the fan experience beyond just one movie. Sure, they rebooted Spider-Man this month. For better or worse, that means a lot of new eyes will be on the web-slinging hero. If this brings new fans into the fold and gets them exploring Peter Parker’s storied history, then it’s a good thing in my book.
4. Pacific Rim poster – This Comic-Con exclusive poster for Guillermo Del Toro’s massive robot war film is so incredibly cool that it may force you into a state of anger toward all who are attending the Con, those lucky ones who may get to see some early footage. So. Goddamn. Cool.
5. Freida Pinto on the Importance of Saying No – In a great interview with HuffPo, Slumdog Millionaire and Trishna star Freida Pinto talks about when to turn down a role and what that has meant for her career. It’s interesting insight into the process of a talented, wise-beyond-her-years actress.
6. 20 Prequels Too Awesome to Exist – From the folks at Cracked. In the case of The Adventures of Inigo, they have a point.
7. Your New TV Ruins Movies – Christopher Nolan would be very disappointed with that new flat-panel you just bought at Best Buy.
8. The Badass Guide to Comic-Con – There are plenty of “How to Survive Comic-Con” articles out there — hell, we may end up writing our own before the show starts later this week. But until we chime in, the most direct and useful may be that of Devin Faraci, who implores you to shower, be patient with purchases and don’t touch the talent. And by talent, we mean the booth babes.
9. Game of Thrones with Lightsabers – The following video, our final item of the night, features a battle between the Jedi of Westeros, Ned Stark and the Sith Lord Jaime Lannister. This had to happen eventually…