What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a vicious sonofabitch, back from a weekend of debauchery (and candle-lit research) to bring you news and notes from around the film blogosphere. The best links end up here. If they don’t, you should email them in so that we can include them tomorrow. No seriously, do it.
We begin this evening with a first look at Naomi Watts as Princess Diana in Caught in Flight, a film from Downfall director Oliver Hirschbiegel. The film will see Di’s relationship with Dr. Hasnat Khan, who will be played by Naveen Andrews. Because all those blonde-haired dames love a little Sayeed. Also because it really happened, in real life.
1. Sherlock Holmes vs. Frankenstein – This is a thing that’s happening. And to think that we missed this in our round up of passed over alternatives to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter…
2. WETA throws horses – Speaking of Abe Lincoln’s late night vamp-killing, the folks at FX Guide have a great expose about the effects — most notably the shadowing — used in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by the folks at Weta Digital. Tossing horses around has never looked so… shadowy.
3. 5 Reasons Straight Guys Should See Magic Mike – As written by Cinema Blend’s Mack Rawden. Honestly, they had me at nudity of the female variety, but I’ll see it for the character work, all the same.
4. When can I watch The Amazing Spider-Man with my kids? – Movies.com explores the age appropriateness of Peter Parker’s return to the big screen.
5. Gorgeous Breaking Bad art – The folks at AMC are taking submissions of fan art in the lead-up to the Breaking Bad season five premiere. This one comes from Mario Perrotta, entitled “Heisenberg.”
6. In defense of Spider-Man 3‘s dance scenes – Devin Faraci offers up an alternative take on the most talked about elements of Sam Raimi’s last Spider-Man movie, complete with plenty of nerd-enraging references to The Evil Dead. Nerds hate it when someone comes along and makes a good point, as he’ll undoubtedly discover in the comments section.
7. The Newsroom goes the distance – At least two seasons worth of the distance after being renewed by HBO. Grantland’s Andy Greenwald analyzes the situation with effortless wit.
8. Game of Thrones: The MMORPG - If you know what that acronym stands for, this will definitely excite you. If not, it’s still Game of Thrones related, so go with it.
9. Has the anti-princess moment finally arrived? – Movieline explores the meaning behind the rise of the likes of Merida of Brave and Daenerys Targaryen of Game of Thrones, and what it means for all the pretty pretty princesses.
10. Spider-Man: The Original Trilogy - Supercut mixmaster Kees van Djukhuizen reminds us of all the splendor of Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy just in time for a completely new franchise to take webbed flight.