What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly column that’s comin’ at ya, so you best be prepared.
Our night begins with Matthew McConaughey looking ragged on the set of The Wolf of Wall Street, the film project from up-and-coming director Martin Scorsese. It’s not due in theaters until Christmas of next year, but can you already smell the Oscar buzz for Mr. Alright Alright? I can.
1. Avengers box office fails to impress King of World – “Oh I liked Avengers, I thought it was a real crowd-pleaser, lots of fun [and] funny, funnier than [I expected],” explained James Cameron when asked about the movie that almost got Joss Whedon into his currently one-man Billion Dollar Box Office Club. “I thought leavening it was important because Titanic is not exactly a laugh riot.”
2. In response (but not really)… – Joss Whedon says he will “dig deeper” on Avengers 2. “The creation of the team is not the happy ending,” he explained. “It is the beginning of something that is complex and difficult, and now I get to dig a little deeper. And maybe, while I’m digging, just twist that knife. And that’s exciting for me.”
3. E.T. comes home to theaters – On October 3, in celebration of the upcoming release of the film on Blu-ray, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial will return to theaters courtesy of Fathom Events. The Blu-ray drops on October 9. Here’s the cover art:
4. Emily Dickinson was such a Miranda – Former Sex and the City star Cynthia Nixon is set to play Emily Dickinson in A Quiet Passion, a new biopic about the famed poet.
5. 20 Things You Didn’t Know About the Cast of Sons of Anarchy – Yet another thing that I have in common with Pajiba’s lovely and talented Joanna Robinson: a passion for Sons of Anarchy. Which has led both of us to now link to this article by Dustin Rowles. If that doesn’t mark it as a winner, I don’t know what would.
6. Five Actresses Who Could Play Ms. Marvel – This list could also be titled “Five Actress who could pl….” What? Sorry, I lost focus.
7. An App that tells you what to watch – Gizmodo profiles NextGuide, an app that will link up to your cable and streaming services, then tell you what you should be watching right now. It actually sounds quite useful.
8. Nosferatu – The folks at ChangeTheThought, whom I had not heard of until today, will be selling this killer Nosferatu print at a random time on Thursday, September 13. They’ve got a regular (seen below) and a variant (seen via the link), both of which are brilliant. I dig it.
9. Because, Breaking Bad – Vimeo user and animator Martin Woutisseth has created this incredible alternate title sequence for Breaking Bad with some sleek animation, an upbeat soundtrack and well, Breaking Bad.