Tonight on Movie News After Dark, we go back to the 1960s for a NASA series (squee!), get a behind the scenes look at how Transformers are made, talk TV controversy, make fun of Zach Braff, look at a few great summer movie previews and go rapid-fire with a ton of character posters.
- Mad Men meets NASA – This new show, as being pitched by people who currently inhabit the Mad Men writers’ room, is something I will absolutely, 100% watch. As a fan of the Mad Men style, the marriage of those stylistic sentiments and the Golden Age of space exploration (the Apollo era) could be the best TV-related thing to happen to myself and fellow space nerds since Tom Hanks’ From the Earth to the Moon.
- How Transformers come to life – An exploration of the creative process behind the toys that would become a Michael Bay movie.
- Hannibal pulls an episode for sensitivity – Brass at NBC and series producer Bryan Fuller have announced that tonight’s episode of Hannibal, the excellent show that has given new life to the world of Hannibal Lector and, more specifically the man who eventually caught him, is not the scheduled programming. The episode is a replacement for a pulled episode that hit a little too close to home for Americans in the wake of Sandy Hook. EW’s Jeff Jensen writes a great, in-depth analysis of why this seemingly good thing is indicative of a cultural problem.
- Tim Heidecker lampoons Zach Braff – Not everyone is a fan of Zach Braff’s new Kickstarted movie effort. The titular half of Tim and Eric seems among the detractors, writing a proposed scene for the movie that gets a little meta, complete with potty language. To say the least, this one won’t end up in the movie.
- A big, bad, beautiful summer movie preview – From the fine folks at Grantland.
- The Ultimate Summer 2013 Movie Trailer – Our good friend SleepySkunk did this for Movies.com. Pretty good:
- Rapid-fire poster galleries: Arrested Development – You know these jokers:
- Rapid-fire poster galleries: Red 2 - Another set of familiar faces in a sequel to a surprisingly entertaining action flick about old people: