Tonight on Movie News After Dark, we explore some of the unfriendly feelings that are had toward J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek films, we look at the real life Tony Stark (maybe), see a bit about Natalie Portman’s latest and as always, try to wedge in some Doctor Who.
- Why We Love, Hate and Love to Hate J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek – Over at Movies.com, Evan Saathoff writes an excellent piece about the mixed emotions the geekosphere seems to have around J.J. and his pair of Trek films. It’s tonight’s must-read.
- Hannibal and the consequences of violence – In an interview with Buzzfeed, Hannibal showrunner Bryan Fuller talks about violence and death on TV. The man’s handle on such things is the core reason why Hannibal is such a striking show. That and Mads Mikkleson.
- Jane doesn’t have traction – The eternally troubled production, Jane Got a Gun, starring Natalie Portman, is not winning over any buyers at Cannes, where its rights are being sold. As it turns out, director Lynne Ramsay left over disagreements on “final cut.” More on that later, I’m sure.
- 15 failed American remakes of UK shows – First, I didn’t even know that there was an American version of Spaced. Second, that Joel McHale-led version of The IT Crowd was awful.
- The Return of the Coming of Age Film – According to this well-written piece by Calum Marsh, the coming-of-age film is back. I wasn’t sure it ever left, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a point there.
- Is Elon Musk the real life Tony Stark? – A big question about the Tesla CEO. But does he have a wine cellar full of high-tech armor? My guess is no. He’s a very cool individual, though.
- The fake websites of Doctor Who – A supercut! Watch for yourself…