What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly movie news column that won’t back down.
We begin this evening with a first look at the fortress at Riverrun in Game of Thrones’ upcoming third season. It’s just some fish flags, but those who’ve read the book will get all nerdy over it. Seriously, it’s very cool. And plenty of things center upon this particular set piece this season, with it being the holdfast of House Tully, Catlin Stark’s family.
1. Seeing Hobbits in Threes – Over at the Marketplace show on American Public Media, this person named Scott Beggs who insists that he’s the managing editor of Film School Rejects talks to host Jeff Horwich about the massive extra helping of Middle Earth that Peter Jackson is planning to serve to his precious fans.
2. A New Brady Bunch – From the comedic mind of Vince Vaughn and the non-risk-takers over at CBS? How could that possibly be anything but utterly terrible?
3. Danny Boyle’s Opening Ceremony was a big deal – The ratings on the Olympics opening ceremony were the best in several decades for the BBC, set an audience record for NBC and became the most-watched opening ceremony of all-time. Yes, but how many of them caught the TARDIS sound?
4. John Leguizamo for Kick-Ass 2 – Legz has been cast to play a guy protecting Christopher Mintz-Plasse’s Red Mist in the sequel that just won’t go away (thankfully).
5. The Lion King by Caleb Kerr – This piece of art from Caleb Kerr, a talented-as-hell Austinite, is absolutely gorgeous. See for yourself:
6. Deleted scenes we wish we could see – io9 goes through a list of deleted scenes they wish existed. Like a shot of Bane eating in The Dark Knight Rises. Or Demolition Man‘s three sea shells situation. The latter of which is still one of cinema’s great mysteries.
7. 10 Things We Want from a New Star Trek TV Show – io9 (again, I know) has a list of must-haves for the upcoming Roberto Orci-produced Trek animated series. First of all, awesome. Second of all, these things are great suggestions.
8. The Sight & Sound countdown is on – They are going to count down the ten best of all-time ever ever. According to a bunch of people who apparently matter.
9. Craig dreams of sushi – Writers John August and Craig Mazin read and discuss the work of three screenwriters-to-be. These guys are entertaining.
10. Bourne to be alive – Our friends at Screen Rant mix up some Bourne action with a song from the disco era, with interesting but not at all boring results: