What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly news column that’s struggling on a slow-news Monday. Luckily there’s plenty of poster art to go around.
Our evening begins with a behind the scenes shot from the production of Game of Thrones and its sure to be epic third season. It’s not telling us much, but the official production blog kicking into high gear is enough to whet the whistles of many a fan, including yours truly.
1. New York bans big drinks, movie theaters aren’t happy – NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg wants to outlaw your Big Gulp. And your local AMC is going to fight the power. I honestly can’t decide which side to come down on here. I love the convenience of a 96 oz. soda, but I know it’s the worst thing I could ever put into my body in the span of two hours.
2. Marc Maron knows WTF is up with Apatow’s next – The comedian and podcaster talks about This is 40, the follow-up to the Knocked Up characters played by Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann. He’s got a few interesting things to say.
3. Tom Rothman is out at Fox – Not to get too much into the business, but I believe we’ve talked about Tom Rothman before. He’s the guy who has made many a decision at Fox that has outraged the geek herds. For example, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Well, now he’s leaving. Time to bring on the next whipping boy.
4. What movie would you put in a time capsule? – CriticWire asks a number of critics which movie from the 2010s (all two and a half years of it) to place in a time capsule for future generations.
5. James Cameron almost directed Jurassic Park – He would have made something far different, me thinks.
5. What if Alfred Hitchcock made superhero movies? – Via the folks at io9, here’s artist Alberto Muriel’s take on scenes from Hitchcock movies through the lens of some modern superhero flicks. This one is particularly good:
7. All of Empire Strikes Back in one gif – I love gifs. Well, not all of them. But this one is delightful.
8. Superhero movies are mushy, too – Here’s a mash-up (or mush-up) of some romantic moments from superhero movies. Awww….