What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly bit of notes regarding films, television shows and other pop culture curiosities. It’s also a victim of its circumstances, which this week includes an inundation with Batman everything. In the end, it could be worse.
We begin this evening with a new image from Skyfall, which will debut its next trailer with The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX. It will be the second film of the year to truly play for the massive screen format, right behind the one Christopher Nolan is about to unleash.
1. The Ten Greatest Movie Podcasts – On this list from Jacob Hall at Movies.com are all the real greats in the realm of talking about movies and broadcasting it over the internet, including a little show we house here at Film School Rejects. No offense to The /FilmCast, but Reject Radio has always been a better cuddle buddy.
2. Emmy and the Titles – The folks at Art of the Title walk us through the Main Title Design Emmy nominations, including Kyle Cooper’s creepy design for American Horror Story. In a related story, Pajiba’s Dustin Rowles counts the 10 coolest title sequences and theme songs never nominated for an Emmy. A list that includes Fringe, Breaking Bad, Sherlock and The Wire. Infuriating, that.
3. Fred Willard busts out his Pee-Wee – We’re not into the gossip side of things, but longtime comedic treasure Fred Willard getting fired from his PBS show Market Warriors because he was arrested for lewd conduct in an XXX movie theater in Los Angeles is news. Willard is a working actor, so we know he can afford the internet. Does he know that there’s plenty of free porn out there for those who have the bandwidth? He needs a porn mentor.
4. Dark Knight Rises street art sinks – This is the coolest thing you’re going to see up to this point:
5. The Sexiest and Weirdest Cosplay from Comic-Con 2012 – The folks at io9 found all the odd and oddly arousing Comic-Costumers rolling around the San Diego area last week and have compiled them into neat galleries separated by property. Want your Star Wars cosplay kept away from your Babes of Marvel? Done. They’ve also got some DC Comics hotness, included the shot below:
7. USS Enterprise is best starship ever, says Neil deGrasse Tyson – The super science guy stopped over at The Verge and talked about how the Enterprise is the bomb, yo. In only slightly related news, a new Star Trek animated TV show may be in the works. Lots of living long and prospering happening for Trekkers.
8. Harry Knowles calls bullshit on The Dark Knight Rises – I never thought I’d find myself on the same side of the fence as Harry Knowles, especially when it involves coming down on the negative side of one of the year’s most anticipated nerd movies. But he’s got it right. Side note: if you’ve got several hours of your life to lose, check out that talkback section…
10. How much does it cost to be Batman? – Economics blog Centives does the math on how much you’d have to pay to become the caped crusader. The end result is a figure that actually sounds reasonable, if you were a billionaire.
11. The epic Dark Knight Trilogy trailer – This will be the second time we’ve featured something like this, a big trailer for Christopher Nolan’s entire trilogy, but this one earns a viewing for being more than five minutes long and beautifully composed.