What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly movie news column that’s taking it easy on this Friday evening. Expect fun, happy thoughts heading your way in the news rundown below…
We begin this relaxed Friday evening edition of MNAD with a shot from the Frankenweenie art exhibition currently going down at Disney’s California Adventure. Our friends at ScreenCrave posted some shots from around the gallery. As you know, I was quite fond of Frankenweenie. And I like art shows.
1. Mel Brooks to receive AFI Achievement Award – Mel Brooks should win all of the awards, in my opinion.
1. Five Favorites with Anna Kendrick – Ever wonder what the adorable star of Pitch Perfect would watch on a deserted island? Well, she and I could watch Hot Fuzz, because that’d also be on my list. I’m just saying…
2. How to Make the Perfect Summer Movie – IndieWire’s Matt Singer outlines the perfect plan for creating a summer blockbuster. Michael Bay, are you reading?
3. Sam Strange remembers Dredd – Over at BAD, Sam Strange doesn’t want to hear your whining about how not-so-great Taken 2 is when you see it in theaters this weekend. Instead, you should’ve already seen Dredd. The good news: it’s still in theaters.
4. What happened to Tim Burton? – The urge to ask Tim Burton during interviews, “what happened to your career?” has been high for many a movie blogger. Not me, I kept myself professional. But some, I’m sure. Grantland walks us through what went wrong so quickly for the director of Batman.
5. The Best Bond – NPR held a big survey to decide which James Bond was the best James Bond. The top two won’t surprise you: the original Bond (Connery) and the current Bond (Craig). Where the rest fall is a bit more interesting. In short: Roger Moore never quite gets his due.
6. New Skyfall clip – In other Bond news, there’s a new clip from Skyfall out this week. It involves our hero 007 and the boarding of a train car, with a tractor. How can you not love this guy?
7. Looper Hijinks – The great web comic Hijink Ensue has taken on Looper. Because, Looper.
8. And… more Bond – As promised in the title of tonight’s edition, there is more James Bond goodness happening on the 50th Anniversary of the release of my all-time favorite film, Dr. No. Here’s a 50th Anniversary Tribute video from the folks at JoBlo. It’s quite fun.