What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a weeknightly column of various odds and ends from the world of film and television. Did you miss it? How did its cousin Comic-Con News After Dark do as a substitute? Not too well, it hopes.
We begin tonight with a remnant of Comic-Con, which ended just over 24 hours ago but will live on in our hearts at least until the last of the articles is written. So sometime in September, just before Fantastic Fest. The above image comes from Jen Yamato at Movieline, who explains How to Bring Your Next-Level Cosplay Game to Comic-Con. It has something to do with cross-dressing, which is apparently what all the kids are doing these days.
1. Three films virgins should be forced to watch – In the case of Teeth, which made the list, it will ensure that they never want to have sex ever ever ever.
2. Joss Whedon’s top 10 writing tips – Take it from that guy who had all those projects cancelled before their prime… What? Is it still too soon?
3. Why Women Have a Growing Place at Comic-Con – Contrary to what Sharon Waxman says in this article, Women have always had a place at Comic-Con. But nowadays, they aren’t just there to make the undersexed male masses swoon. They’re badass ladies. Because that’s actually better.
4. Mondo closes Con with Mimic – If you were lucky enough to be around the Mondo booth late in weekend, you may have scored one of these Mimic prints by Jay Shaw. It may have also been signed by Guillermo Del Toro, who stopped by the booth to place his Herbie Hancock on this lovely work of art:
5. Where to see The Dark Knight Rises in True, 70mm IMAX – Because for this one, we’re going to need all of the millimeters.
6. Dark Knight Rises critic receives death threats – This is why we can’t have nice things, friends and neighbors on the internet. Because some of you take this stuff way too seriously. Even when someone disagrees with me about a movie and I know they’re wrong (because they are, by definition), I would never wish death upon them. Someone who doesn’t read this column, however…
7. How to Put a Movie Theater in Your Home on the Cheap – “On the cheap,” being the operative statement here.
8. The Dark Knight Trilogy: The Trailer – A full trailer for the entire trilogy. Because that’s a thing that’s happening this week…