What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly movie news column that cares about your in-theater experience. We want you to have the best seat and be able to avoid having someone do something heinous to your corpse. We care so much.
We begin tonight’s multimedia-heavy presentation of your favorite after-hours movie news column with an article I quite enjoyed over at Gizmodo, titled simply How to Find the Best Seat in a Theater. This is the kind of expert knowledge that many people assume I have, given the number of movies I see in theaters every year. But I’ve never quite dug into the science behind what makes the sweet spot the sweet spot.
1. Rian Johnson on the fate of film – Looper director Rian Johnson is the subject of this excellent piece over at The Verge, where he talks about his latest film, its chosen genre, engaging fans on Twitter and where it’s all headed, this crazy world of movies. It’s a great feature.
2. How Apple’s Story is like Breaking Bad - Omar Gallaga wins today’s award for most link-baity article with this piece over at CNN.com. He’s got an interesting hook for the whole thing, but on a day that it 36-hours removed from an epic mid-season finale of the web’s most talked about show, connecting it with the world’s most talked about tech company — who also happens to be in the news a bit — is suspect, at best. That said, it’s a good read.
3. The Economics of Breaking Bad – I know what you’re thinking — here we go again with all the Breaking Bad links. You’re just going to have to deal with it for a few days, at least until the internet runs out of good articles about Breaking Bad.
5. It’s like The Avengers, only real – As Erik Davis at Movies.com reports, the filmmakers behind The Cove have set out to once again shock the world with another documentary that goes where others wouldn’t dare. I can’t wait to sob uncontrollably before throwing away all the tuna in my refrigerator again. That was awesome the first time around.
7. NBC lays down the Revolution early – NBC has put the pilot for the J.J. Abrams-produced show Revolution on Hulu and NBC.com two weeks before it is scheduled to air. I’ll be honest, I’m curious to see what all the fuss is about. And by fuss, I clearly mean the aggressive Olympics marketing push.
9. Spotting Argo- Big things are being said about this Ben Affleck-directed film after its Telluride debut, and here’s a first TV spot.
10. “Turn off your bloody phone” – This is the most offensive thing you’ll see all day. Perhaps the most disgusting way to tell people to turn off their phones in a movie theaters. But hey, it’s effective. Consider this highly NSFW.
Links provided by Zergnet, which sounds like a villain but is really quite helpful.
Comment Policy: No hate speech allowed. If you must argue, please debate intelligently. Comments containing selected keywords or outbound links will be put into moderation to help prevent spam. Film School Rejects reserves the right to delete comments and ban anyone who doesn't follow the rules. We also reserve the right to modify any curse words in your comments and make you look like an idiot. Thank You!
Some movie websites serve the consumer. Some serve the industry. At Film School Rejects, we serve at the pleasure of the connoisseur. We provide the best reviews, interviews and features to millions of dedicated movie fans who know what they love and love what they know. Because we, like you, simply love the art of the moving picture.