What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly column dedicated to movie news and notes that is beginning to think that they Comic-Con hangover is in full-effect. It’s all Dark Knight out there.
We begin this evening with a shot of Ben Wishaw in Skyfall as gadgetmaster Q, a photo that’s been out for a bit but somehow we missed covering it. It’s a very youthful take on Q, but one that will benefit from Wishaw’s chops, as seen in films like Layer Cake.
1. Is Mitt Romney Gotham’s Reckoning? – Somehow The Dark Knight Rises is even making it into our upcoming Presidential election. According to Big Hollywood, people on the left are comparing Romney to Tom Hardy’s Bane. Well, they both clearly work out. So I guess that’s a start…
2. HULK goes to Comic-Con – Film Crit Hulk, the one-man machine of green and devourer of all capital letters, has a round-up of his trip to Comic-Con. He covered it for Entertainment Weekly. Clearly I had it all wrong when I started Film School Rejects — we should have really pushed the schtick.
3. Why Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns Should be the next live-action Batman movie – Our own Brian Salisbury takes a wonderful idea over to Movies.com and writes passionately in favor of old-ass Batman showing up on the big screen someday.
4. Vulcan emoticons – I laughed.
5. How The Imposter is shaking up doc marketing – The Wrap’s Brent Lang explores the use of missing person fliers and a mysterious trailer in selling The Imposter to the world.
6. Bob Orci clears up those Star Trek 2 rumors – Or he’s continuing to spin us round, right round, with more bobbing and weaving from the Bad Robot campus. At this point, there’s no way to know for sure.
7. Time is Nothing – This essay from Pajiba contributor Daniel Carlson, written on his personal blog, really rings true for anyone who has every “caught up” on a television show in order to become a “late-to-the-party bandwagon jumper.” It’s not about being first, my friends, it’s about your own experience.
8. Karen Gillan cast in Oculus - I’m not so much concerned with the movie itself — although it sounds interesting — but with the fact that it will bring Ms. Gillan to Alabama, which is not far from me. Now as soon as the courts lift the restraining order, I can go visit her.
9. What Breaking Bad would look like as a Kickstarter – I’d donate some money just for a free meal at Los Pollos Hermanos. I hear their chicken is amazing.
10. Breaking Batman - On one hand, the temptation to publish anything that ties together Breaking Bad and The Dark Knight Rises together is something I couldn’t begin to explain to you. Because of my love for both properties and my love of pageviews (yeah, I said it). On the other, I have no idea what to make of this mash-up. What the hell is Chris O’Donnell doing in my Christopher Nolan Batman week?