What is Movie News After Dark? It’s for fun. Really, just for fun.
We begin this evening’s rundown with a picture of Michael Bay riding Transformers: The Ride alongside the lovely Jenna Wolfe from The Today Show and some nameless youths who probably won a contest. Or they’re someone’s nephew. Either way, they are there. With Bayhem. Riding through 3D Transformer mayhem. Now that we’ve had a rhyme, here’s the rundown of today’s best reads…
1. Brave director Mark Andrews Explains the Movie’s Secretive Marketing: Badass Digest uncovers Pixar’s commitment to a marketing strategy that too many studios have lost sight of: “Let the audience be invested in act one, which as a storyteller and a moviegoer, if you’re not interested in act one, you don’t care what comes next. If I can get you by act one, you’re good to go, and that’s what every trailer should be.”
2. Ten Things We Learned from The New Yorker‘s Ben Stiller Profile: Vulture goes deep inside an already deep profile of funnyman Ben Stiller, who, unlike Adam Sandler, has not ruined any of the minds his movies have come across this year. Madagascar 3: totally harmless, totally delivering box office gold.
3. How to Revitalize Network Television: Pajiba’s Brian Byrd talks about the problems that face the executives of the big networks, makes mention of Cleveland Browns fans and talks solutions. Because note enough people offer solutions on the internet. Well done, I say.
4. Stay Classy: Planet Pulp has a piece from Paul Shipper, seen below. This man needs no introduction:
5. 4 Movies That Should Continue as TV Shows: WhatCulture brings in a few heavy hitting big screen stories that could be extended to the small screen with relative ease. Among their best ideas is Final Destination, although I’d have to insist that it simply be merged with that Kardashian reality show and Jersey Shore. You know what I mean…
6. 5 suggestions for Adam Sandler’s career: HitFix takes to trying to help Sandler save whatever it is we think his career should include, including class and shame. Clearly the actor/producer doesn’t really care what anyone else thinks, but it’s nice to believe that maybe we’re making a difference. We being the Internet, of course.
7. A Watch Dogs Movie: It’s being reported that the latest videogame sensation from Ubisoft, Watch Dogs, is being vetting for a big screen adaptation. For those who have not yet seen the ridiculously cool in-game footage from E3, I’ve included it below. What no one is talking about is the tangential overlap Watch Dogs has with the Shia LaBeouf actioner Eagle Eye, which wasn’t all that good. So maybe this isn’t such a great idea.
8. Hughes the Force: Here’s a Star Wars fan film in the style of John Hughes. There’s something entirely watchable about this. Therefore, it’s here where we shall end. (Oh hey, Jason Mewes is still alive. Who knew!)