What is Movie News After Dark? Like the Curiosity Mars rover, it’s out there breaking new ground. Taking panoramic pictures of the red planet and whatnot. Also, collecting links to interesting stories about movies.
We begin with a shot from the titles of The Avengers, taken from the expose that Art of the Title has done on the summer’s biggest blockbuster thus far. They brilliantly profile the work of Method Design on the Joss Whedon directed movie. Here’s hoping that Method will get asked back alongside Whedon for the sequel.
1. Bob Hoskins retires from acting – Following a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease last fall, actor Bob Hoskins has now officially announced that he’s retiring from acting. This gives us ample opportunity to celebrate the man’s career, including his most fun work in the likes of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Then again, he’ll always be Smee to me.
2. Looper‘s moody poster – Total Film debuted a UK Quad for Rian Johnson’s Looper that is nothing short of spectacular. Check out Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as two sides of the same coin:
3. Is Total Recall the least essential film of the summer? – In the category of “we didn’t really need that movie, did we?” /Film’s Angie Han would like to award the top prize to Len Wiseman’s reboot of Total Recall. Now that it’s floundering at the box office despite a massive marketing effort, it would appear as if moviegoers would agree.
4. Guillermo del Toro + Marvel? – ScreenRant asks the question: Could Guillermo del Toro direct a feature film for Marvel? Sure, I say. He’s always been sort of a monster guy, but del Toro isn’t shy about reaching for the stars. And filling his plate with more projects than he’ll possibly be able to complete in a lifetime. I love that chubby Mexican to death and hope he never stops making great movies, but on this one, I’ll believe it when I see it.
5. Diplomats and Documentaries – The Economist talks about one of the upcoming releases from Drafthouse Films, the documentary The Ambassador.
6. The 15 Funniest IMDb Trivia Fails of All-Time – Usually this sort of thing is sub-Buzz Feed drivel that doesn’t deserve your attention, but the factoid about Christopher Nolan retitling The Dark Knight after seeing Step Up 2: The Streets did illicit a hearty laugh from yours truly. Well played, shoot-for-the-middle pseudo-spam list site.
8. Ground control to Major Tom – We close the evening with a look at Jeff Yorkes’ latest mashup. We’ve featured his work on the site before and it’s strong. Also, there’s something about this week that makes me want to publish everything about space ever. Go, NASA.