What is Movie News After Dark? It’s about to be your deviant nightly gut punch of pure awesome. Pure. Awesome.
Our evening begins with a look at the new Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, TX. Some of you may be wondering, “why lead with something so local in a column that’s read in over 50 countries?” Because it’s relevant to our upcoming barrage of coverage from Fantastic Fest. You see, the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar is where Fantastic Fest lives. This year, it’s been repainted to look like it’s part of the movie Frankenweenie. Next year, it will look like the futuristic CineMecca you see above. The booking of flights for Fantastic Fest 2013 begins now, friends.
1. Chris Evans on Captain America: Winter Soldier – “They had all those deleted scenes with The Avengers… A lot of that stuff [that was cut] is for Captain America 2. That is his story. It is him trying to on a personal level adjust to the fact that everyone he knows is gone and the whole Peggy Carter of it all. There are a lot of things that he kind of has to come to terms with.”
2. How the Internet gave The Master its title – According to Paul Thomas Anderson, he found the title for his latest movie on the Internet. Some think it was The Playlist that named it, but I know that PTA was really looking for something else…
3. Rupert Wyatt will not Ape again – According to new reports, the director of Rise of the Planet of the Apes will not return for the film’s planned sequel. The guy who came up with that long title is still on, however, and is planning an even longer title this time around. The Continued Rise, Rebellion and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes is so money, and he knows it.
4. Game of Thrones: The Web Series? – Fans of George R.R. Martin are trying to put together a web series that’s a prequel to Game of Thrones, and they need $10,000 of your fan money. I say lets make it happen.
5. A Tour of LA’s Leading Independent Film Archive – This is one great find from the Twitter feed of Ryan Gallagher, whose name you’ll want to remember for later. An intimate tour of The Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, an independent home to 250 million tons of film history.
6. New Hobbit pictures – Do these need an introduction? No they Bilbon’t. (I crack myself up. It’s so… precioussss…)
7. Great Showdowns – Here’s an example of the new Gallery 1988 show featuring artist Scott C and his Great Showdowns. This one’s from a personal favorite, High Fidelity. “Get your patchouli stink outta my store!”
8. A Halloween remake pitch – Federico D’Alessandro, an animatics supervisor at Marvel Studios, created a badass pitch reel for a remake of the John Carpenter classic Halloween. See it to believe it below. This is the greatest remake of Halloween that you’ll never see, hands down.