What is Movie News After Dark? It’s the thing that will comfort you during the storm. In this case the storm is Hurricane Sandy, who is currently laying down a ravaging to our beloved readers on the East Coast. And the comforting is in the form of the eight best links of the day, all of which will lead you to great reads, listens, watches and otherwise marvelous, nerdy things to look at.
1. We begin this evening with a calculated takedown of the weekend’s biggest new movie, Cloud Atlas. For well over a week, I’ve been struggling to come to terms with my own feelings on the latest from Wachowski Starship. It’s complex, grande and full of moments that are worthy of awe. But it’s also a big mess. And Zach Baron at Grantland’s Cloud Atlas is an overscrambled mess article is perhaps the most adept explanation of the balance between the great and the not-so-great.
2. Over at Wired, Alamo Drafthouse programmer and well-respected cult movie historian Zack Carlson talks about Miami Connection and the Myth of ‘So Bad They’re Good’ Movies. I’m interested to see whether or not our Junkfood Cinema columnist Brian Salisbury would agree with his assessment. Although I’m sure we can all agree that Miami Connection is far from a “bad” movie.
3. Interview Magazine has a great piece in which Gus Van Sant interviews Ben Affleck about his latest film, the political drama hit Argo. They talk about the film, the craft and why Ben Affleck wasn’t able to go to Iran for research. They do not talk about how Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.
4. io9’s Annalee Newitz uses the release of Cloud Atlas to go back to one of the more polarizing works of the Wachowski plan. No, not the second or third Matrix films. She posits that Speed Racer is an unsung masterpiece. While I don’t share that sentiment, I can admit that her article is a good read.
5. In the middle of tonight’s rundown is a great piece of art by Andre De Freitas, whose work is for sale over at Society6. He’s taken a number of pop culture icons and given them the zombie treatment. If it wasn’t so well executed it would be lame, I agree, but this zombie Iron Man is pretty wicked:
6. Will Supernatural ever get respect? Devin Faraci asks this in a column from 2010 at Badass Digest. I’m not sure why this article ended up in my purview this weekend, but it did. And it’s a good read, especially for those of you who may not have given Supernatural a shot yet. You should, for all the reasons listed and more.
7. Drew McWeeney at HitFix walks through 5 things we learned from today’s Wolverine online chat with Hugh Jackman and James Mangold. There will be plenty of rage, plenty of Japan and plenty of Wolvie action. Cool.
8. We end tonight with Mitt Romney debating Billy Madison, because that’s how I feel about debates at this point: