There are still a lot of films that have yet to see a release on the Blu-ray format, and to be honest, most of them never will. The more recognizable ones seem destined to reach the format eventually, so hopefully we can look forward to Blu releases of The Black Stallion, High Fidelity, True Lies and (a proper transfer of) The Game sometime in the near future.
But for now we can at least rest easy knowing that one of the greatest summer blockbusters ever made is getting the Blu-ray treatment mere months from now. Steven Spielberg’s Jaws is being released on Blu-ray as part of Universal’s 100th anniversary, and the studio appears to be giving the release the special attention it deserves.
The special features are detailed below, but one of the new additions is included here as a tease. “Jaws: The Restoration” is a brief (but still detailed) look at the effort and intention that went into the film’s high-def restoration.
The Blu-ray will be available in special Universal 100th Anniversary packaging for a limited time, and the special features are a mix of the old and the new. They include a selection of deleted and alternate scenes alongside several making-of featurettes, but the main draw here is the brand new feature length doc about the film’s continuing relevance thirty-seven years after its debut.
· The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of JAWS: All-new feature-length documentary featuring never-before-seen footage and interviews with cast and crew including Steven Spielberg, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider.
· JAWS: The Restoration: An all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie.
· The Making of JAWS: A two-hour documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.
· From the Set: An insider’s look at life on the set of JAWS, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg.
· Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
· JAWS Archives: Take a peek inside the JAWS archives, including storyboards, production photos and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the JAWS phenomenon.
· Original Theatrical Trailer“
You’re going to need a bigger DVD/Blu-ray shelf starting August 14th when Universal unleashes Jaws on Blu-ray. Pre-order it here.