If you’re like me, you like your comedy funny and not tedious. Fortunately for you, there’s probably a rerun of America’s Funniest Videos that’s on because it’s blend of testicle injuries and cats falling off of things prove to be more enjoyable than the trailer you are probably about to watch.
The only advantage this Hot Tub Time Machine redband trailer has over the show is that there are zero boobs in AFV:
Holy Member’s Only Jackets that’s bad. Still bad I should say, considering that the green band trailer was atrocious. This, at least, is slightly less horrifying.
Plus, we’ve learned a lot of things from it.
- Craig Robinson will be the only funny thing about this film. Notice how the trailer keeps going back to him for the laugh lines. And for the self-aware, broken fourth wall title mention.
- Rob Corddry is a still a poor man’s David Koechner. Since Koechner is the poor man’s Rodney Dangerfield, that (by the transitive property) makes Rob Corddry the destitute, homeless man’s Rodney Dangerfield.
- Or he’s his own grandfather or something.
- They’ve shied away completely from the Cusack Get the Girl Back storyline that was featured in the green band, but I get the feeling all of them have returned to the past for some sort of redemption.
- The production apparently couldn’t afford a bathroom set since they greenscreened photoshopped in the mirror scene.
Why do I still hold out hope? I have no idea. Maybe because director Steve Pink directed Grosse Pointe Blank, and I want to believe.
I want to believe, but Pointe Blank was 13 years ago, and America’s Sweethearts was only 9. And, wow, Pink really does only direct when John Cusack is starring. Strange.
Anyway, can’t wait ’til March!
What do you think? Isn’t every episode of America’s Funniest Videos sort of a rerun?