It seems strange to think about Danny McBride and Aziz Ansari re-teaming since we haven’t yet seen them together for 30 Minutes or Less, and possibly because they haven’t even really worked together yet on it, but the still-rising stars are betting on one another for a new as-yet-untitled comedy movie.
There are absolutely no details about the film, what it will be about or what roles Ansari and McBride will play.
According to the press release, the only thing to hang a hat on is the names involved:
- The pitch originated from an idea from Ansari and “30 Rock” producer Matt Hubbard
- David Gordon Green, Jody Hill and Danny McBride are producing through Rough House Productions
- It’s being written by Harris Wittels – whose credits range from the good (“Parks and Rec”) to the atrocious (“Secret Girlfriend”).
- Mandate Pictures will be putting up the financing for the project with Ansari and Mandate president Nathan Kahane executively producing
- So far, Robert Pattinson has not signed on
Essentially, the question is whether or not you want to see these particular talents come together to create something.
I’m sadly torn. I love Ansari. He’s a fresh, interesting voice in comedy and he could make the jump to film fairly easily. On the other hand, I can’t stand Danny McBride. His schtick is one note, yelled loudly. On the other other hand, I’m a huge fan of both David Gordon Green and Jody Hill who have great comic mindsets, strange storytelling qualities and solid talent for directing.
It will be interesting with both 30 Minutes or Less (the directorial follow-up from Zombieland director Ruben Fleischer) and with this untitled comedy to see two actors, both known for side roles and for television break out and attempt to carry more weight on their shoulders.
Whether you are excited, pissed off or apathetic about this news, it’s great to know there’s a creative zone in Hollywood right now that can allow for that sort of thing.
What do you think they’re working on? I say it’s two guys, one’s sort of neat and the other is sort of messy, and they both run a brothel.