What is Comic-Con News After Dark? It’s taking over for a few days while Movie News After Dark goes off into the wilderness to find stories unrelated to Doctor Who. It’s taken focus a little too seriously. Also, Comic-Con News After Dark already has plenty of news about Doctor Who, including…
Tonight’s top photo: Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill and Matt Smith, best known as the cast of BBC’s Doctor Who. They appeared today at Comic-Con looking cool. Sunglasses are cool. Also, Karen is my dream girl.
1. Breaking Comic-Con – From the sound of it, television was the big draw on Friday at Comic-Con. We’ll get to the likes of Game of Thrones a little bit further down, but for now you may want to check out Eric Eisenberg’s live-blog of the Breaking Bad panel from Ballroom 20. Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston in hazmat suits? Marvelous.
2. Firefly reunion gets emotional – Avengers director Joss Whedon took to the stage alongside the stars of his long-beloved Firefly to say a special thank you to all the Browncoats out there.
3. Neil Gaiman is bringing back Sandman – The master is going back to his greatest well. It’s funny, if this were a movie, people would be up in arms. Since its a comic, nerds are left with their brains leaking all over the floor. That said, this is awesome news.
4. Doug Jones on why make-up trumps CGI – Movieline caught up with Doug Jones to talk about The Watch and his latest alien creation.
5. Star Trek 2 footage this weekend? – Karl Urban seems convinced that new Star Trek 2 footage will hit the YouTubes sometime this weekend as a special Comic-Con treat. He is The Law, after all.
6. Skyfall in IMAX is going to be something special – Based on this report from Erik Davis at Movies.com, if your spine is currently tingling and your having some sort of geeky hot flash over IMAX, it’s not just The Dark Knight Rises you should be anticipating.
7. ParaNorman shows off – Drew McWeeny at HitFix reports from the ParaNorman panel, the first of the day in Hall H, where Laika showed off their impressively stylish new family flick.
8. The Triple-Breasted Total Recall guarantee – Colin Farrell wants you to rest easy with the promise that there will be a woman with more than two, but less than four breasts in the new Total Recall. To prove it further, the studio even found the world’s only three-breasted booth babe, as shown in this Instagram post from ScreenCrush:
9. New Community heads promise not to mess it up – David Guarascio and Moses Port weren’t booed off the stage, reports Brian Collins at Badass Digest, and they’ve promised to keep Greendale weird and wonderful. Okay, that’s fine for now.
10. How Actual Science Can Make Science Fiction Cooler – Bad Astronomy’s Phil Plait hosted the panel that I’m most annoyed to have missed by not attending this year’s Con, one that saw the likes of Battlestar Galactica‘s Jane Espensen and Prometheus writer Jon Spaihts talking about real science, science fiction and the future. That’s one giant panel of nerdism to outdo them all.
11. The New Faces of Game of Thrones – The fine gents at ScreenRant (in this case, Kofi Outlaw) run down the massive Game of Thrones panel and all the fun stuff that happened with George R.R. Martin and cast on stage. One big piece of news was the announcement of some key season three cast additions, which was done via the montage below. It feels like the appropriate place to leave you tonight, with The Queen of Thorns.
Remember: Bookmark this page for more from Comic-Con 2012.