What is Comic-Con News After Dark? It’s Movie News After Dark’s alter-ego. As the streets of San Diego fill with hordes of nerd-kind, your loyal nightly movie news column must slip into its costume and become the defender of the sick, the infirm and the unbathed. It’s movie news, but with more booth babes!
We begin this evening’s first ever edition of Comic-Con News After Dark, or CCNAD, with a look at what it would be like If Comic Conventions Had Warning Signs, courtesy of the folks at College Humor. The one about the Cosplay First Aid Kit is particularly fun, as dressing up like your favorite superhero can sometimes lead to interesting injuries. For those wondering what exactly cosplay is, I’ve included an image just after the jump.
It’s nice to get that out of the way…
2. Elysium promises a better life – Peter Sciretta at /Film explores some of the marketing set up on the Comic-Con showroom floor for Neill Blomkamp’s upcoming sci-fi adventure, Elysium, including a very stiff travel agent.
3. DREDD!! – A good many Comic-Con attendees were treated to the world premiere of DREDD 3D last night, complete with all kinds of killing and Karl Urban in slow-motion. First reactions are all over the place, but most seem to be caught up in the excitement of it all. The best of them can be found from Chris Hewitt at Empire, Meredith Borders at Badass Digest, Jen Yamato at Movieline, Peter, Germain and Angie at /Film, Perri Nemiroff from Movies.com, and Jordan Hoffman at ScreenCrush. The new vision of Mega City is getting a big thumbs up from the nerd crowd.
4. The Lone Ranger debuts footage – The writing of Eric Vespe at Ain’t It Cool never ceases to do what all Comic-Con coverage should aspire to do — put the reader’s ass in the seat and show us (in our minds) exactly what he saw when Johnny Depp’s Tonto was introduced on-screen.
6. Seventeen 3D character posters for The Hobbit - There is so much lenticular goodness in this round-up from the kids at /Film, I believe I’ve gone cross-eyed. Which isn’t such a good thing, now that I think about it.
7. Best, Worst and Weirdest Costumes of Comic-Con 2012 – ScreenCrave’s Mali Elfman is collecting some costumed oddities that are must-sees. Sidenote: girls dressing up as Merida from Brave is awesome.
8. The Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote – ThinkGeek has announced something that is truly wonderful. Universal remotes are cool.
9. The Batmobiles are out! – The folks at ScreenRant have a great gallery showing off the Batmobile exhibition that’s happening just outside the San Diego Convention Center. Even though the Tumbler is a great and newly iconic vehicle created for Christopher Nolan’s trilogy, there will never be another design quite as effortlessly cool as the Batmobile from Tim Burton’s 1989 film:
10. The search for the Bat Signal is on – The guys at FirstShowing have uncovered a little bit of viral marketing for The Dark Knight Rises, which will see the folks at Warner Bros. placing the Bat Signal (the small, chalk version) somewhere in San Diego. Whoever finds it is going to win a prize.
11. The Dark Knight Smells – And because we’re on a Bat-tangent, lets stay on this Bat-channel and close with a very funny short from Mystery Team director Dan Eckman, producer Meggie McFadden and star DC Pierson. It’s a classic children’s rhyme that will inspire a new generation of Bat-fans…
As always, be sure to bookmark all of our Comic-Con coverage HERE!