I really don’t have too much to say this week at the Reject Report, other than the fact that District 9 cleaned up, as predicted, at the box office, toppling G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra. The haul of $37 million was a little better than expected for District 9; meanwhile, G.I. Joe fell a whopping 58.9 percent, to $22 million.
As for the other movies, The Time Traveler’s Wife came in bang-on as expected at $19 million, while the other movies sure didn’t do well at all. The Goods came in at a lousy $5.3 million, and Bandslam did horrible business at $2,250,000 and did not even make the Top Ten, or even Top Twelve! Now, that was a surprise, folks.
So the “feast or famine” situation we have seen for much of the year has continued, with one new release at the top cleaning up while the others struggle. Such is life.
The results of the weekend:
- District 9 – $37,000,000
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra – $22,500,000
- The Time Traveler’s Wife – $19,205,000
- Julie & Julia – $12,400,000
- G-Force – $6,908,000
- The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard – $5,350,000
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – $5,155,000
- The Ugly Truth – $4,500,000
- Ponyo – $3,506,000
- (500) Days of Summer – $3,025,000
That is all for this weekend! See you with more box office predictions later this week at the Reject Report!