We had a sense that this was going to be a very tight “Clash” at the top of the box office — and indeed, this weekend’s box office result turned out to be too close to call.
According to the estimates from Sunday, Date Night has hauled in $27.1 million and has eked out the box-office win over Clash of the Titans, which reportedly made $26.85 million. But the result was really too close to call and there’s a bit of dispute about whether Date Night’s really has a box office “victory” or not. I’ve seen this sort of thing before where a studio would claim a box office victory on Sunday, and then the real weekend numbers would report a different story by Monday.
So I really don’t have a lot to say right now, other than the fact that Date Night, Clash of the Titans and How to Train Your Dragon were very closely bunched together at the top this weekend:
- Date Night – $27,100,000
- Clash of the Titans (2010) – $26,875,000
- How to Train Your Dragon – $25,350,000
- Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too? – $11,000,000
- The Last Song – $10,000,000
- Alice in Wonderland (2010) – $5,600,000
- Hot Tub Time Machine – $5,430,000
- The Bounty Hunter – $4,300,000
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid – $4,100,000
- Letters to God – $1,250,000
As an aside, How to Train Your Dragon has been doing strong business week after week, and is now up to a domestic gross of $133,891,000.
I guess we will have to wait and see if Date Night’s “victory” holds up. That’s all for this weekend, and we’ll see you later this week for another box office preview here at the Reject Report!