With this week, Summer 2010 has officially gone. We are into September and here in Austin at Reject HQ, the temperature is back down into the 90s and we’re looking forward to seeing all of our genre-loving friends at the end of the month for Fantastic Fest. As you’ll begin to notice, we will soon become very preoccupied with what’s happening in the war room over at the Alamo Drafthouse, where the final slate for Fantastic Fest 2010 seems to be coming together quickly. But for now, there are still films in theaters and news from around the globe that have caught our interest. That interest was quickly turned into articles filled with biting commentary. Those articles are assembled here, in a weekly column we like to call The Week That Was…
- Rob Hunter has his intestines removed by Machete
- Cole Abaius learns a thing or two about Going the Distance
- Robert Levin brings to your attention an excellent little indie called Prince of Broadway
- Luke Mullen corners Eli Roth and Daniel Stamm, forcing them to perform one Last Exorcism
- 36 Films, 36 Dramatic Situations: One of our most ambitious features continues: 36-days to cover all of the 36 dramatic situations, using films you know and love as examples. It is perhaps the most literary thing we’ve done since we used our copy of “War & Peace” to prop up our boardroom table. (To answer your next question, yes, of course we really have a boardroom.)
- Cole Abaius gives you 4 Reasons Why Gravity Will Be Fine Without Angelina Jolie
- The staff lays down the law in The Movie Watcher’s Guide to September 2010
- The Circle of Jerks answer the big question: What’s a Scene You Hate from a Movie You Love?
- For this week’s Culture Warrior, Landon Palmer uses both Godard and Bullshit in the title
- Cole Abaius explains The Unique Problem Facing Marvel Studios
Other Things That Happened
- The first Hobo with a Shotgun trailer is not f*cking around
- Look at David Tennant as Peter Vincent in Fright Night, he’s Mindfreaky
- Something about Blizzard, James Cameron and a Starcraft movie
- Rumors about the next Ghostbusters sequel rear their ugly head again
Dispatch from Reject HQ
As many of you know, I’ve been in the process of moving this week, so my own presence on the site has been severely lacking. That’s probably a welcomed change for most of you, but for some it may be cause for concern. Luckily, we’ve still got the best damn writing staff in the galactic alliance, and the likes of Cole Abaius, Rob Hunter, Robert Fure and many others have been cranking out excellent content. They are doing so well that I might just extend my absence another week… (If I didn’t think they’d put out a hit on me, I’d totally do it.) More from me, including the resurgence of This Week in Blu-ray, this coming week.
Comment of the Week
“Pretty much one of the worst lists I’ve ever read”
Azreal on The 30 Best Films of the Decade, a conversation that still rages daily. Mostly, it’s just random Google searchers who stop for a moment to explain to us why our site is called “Film School Rejects.” We never tire of such follies.
Back next week for more shenanigans in The Week That Was.