The late, great James Whale once said, “Hollywood is just too marvelous. One feels the footprints of the immortals here, but has a terrible feeling that they are in sand and won’t last when civilization comes this way.” So it is with the immortals in our Scariest Movie Ever bracket tournament. After the second round of voting, only 16 films are left, and it’s a guarantee that the competition is going to get a lot tighter once it’s icon versus icon.
There are still some newer favorites, but the next round is shaping up to have battles between Kubrick and Polanski, Carpenter and a hockey masked Cunningham, and the fight between Poltergiest and Halloween is anyone’s game. Once the dust settles, there will at least be a handful of immortals left bleeding out onto the sand.
If you want to skip this nonsense and get straight to voting, feel free, but to check out the final Round Two tallies and check out some tough predictions for Round Three, forge ahead.
Round Two Results (16 Films Left)
Clicking on that makes it bigger.
- The Thing haunted The Amityville Horror (214 – 56)
- Friday the 13th slashed Them (214 – 39)
- The Ring crawled out of a TV to leave REC with a twisted look on its face (158 – 105)
- The Omen demonized The Orphanage (187 – 61)
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre ate It‘s face off (179 – 90)
- The Strangers defiled Inside (151 – 41)
- Rosemary’s Baby gooble-gobbled Freaks (169 – 46)
- The Shining just flat out destroyed The Blair Witch Project (283 – 48)
So here’s what the bracket looks like now:
Clicking on that also makes it bigger.
Judging from the reaction to this and other tournaments, what Whale said rings true even in our own minds. At the end of the day, this fun (yet sometimes grueling) mental task is forcing us to decide between favorites. To ultimately betray something we love for something else we might love just a little bit more. Can we really say we love The Thing more than Friday the 13th? Can’t we just love them both and be done with it?
Of course not. There can be only one.
Day Three Predictions
I went 5 for 8 in my predictions yesterday despite giving an entire vial of blood to that gypsy woman down the block. Maybe the worst twenty bucks and vial of blood I’ve ever spent. And here’s where it gets harder:
- Alien over Invasion of the Body Snatchers
- A Nightmare on Elm Street over Session 9
- Halloween over Poltergeist
- The Exorcist over The Descent
- Rosemary’s Baby over The Shining
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre over The Strangers
- The Ring over The Omen
- Friday the 13th over The Thing
It hurts just typing it out. I want to watch all of them right now. Simultaneously.