Way back in January of 2010 I crafted a list of ten things I figured I’d hate in the following year. I tried to predict my own hatred, which can be difficult. Hate is the most wily and evasive of emotions, prone to erupting without warning. I made a few safe choices on the list, a couple of generalizations, but there were some surprises. Hell, one of the things I thought I’d hate I loved, while a few never even made it to the surface.
Anyway, let’s take a look back at my look forward and see how things panned out.
10. Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon Criticisms. Yup, hated the anti-Michael Bay, anti-Transformers criticisms, but they were nowhere near as bad as those that surrounded Revenge of the Fallen. Aided a lot by the fact that TF3 was actually a good movie, there were still some stubborn people who refuse to have fun at the movies and want to poo-poo on Bay.
9. X-Men: First Class. I was wrong about this one – loved the movie. It was on the list because I really do not like any installment of the X-Men franchise, this one is easily my favorite.
8. Beastly. Easy choice, of course this piece of shit movie was a predictable piece of shit that should have been sent to Lifetime.
7. The Smurfs. There were no surprises here as The Smurfs gave everyone critical blue balls. There are two types of kids movies – ones that kids enjoy but are secretly just good movies, and then there are piles like this and the Chipmunks that are just mindless kid drivel.
6. Straw Dogs Remake. This isn’t really worthy of my hate, but only because it wasn’t really worth of any attention.
5. Mother’s Day. Boy did I hate this movie when I saw it in late 2010, but it wasn’t released in 2011. Whatever year it will get released, that is the year I will hate it again.
4. Twilight Saga Hatred. I’ve previously defended Twilight fans as they’ve bared the brunt of a lot of undue hatred. While everyone still mocks this franchise openly, it seems as though the fans have gotten a reprieve and the bile spilled in 2011 wasn’t all that acidic.
3. Big Mommas. I don’t want to live on this planet anymore. This deserves all of my hate and all of yours too.
2. Glee. Does this show still exist? I’m blinded by my hatred for it. I hate this show and most of the people who watch it. Except the hot ones. But Glee still sucks.
1. Celebrity Death Reactions. It annoys me when people lose their shit over celebrity deaths. I didn’t know Heath Ledger, so I didn’t shed any tears or build a statue of him out of butter. In 2011, the public at large didn’t make a big deal out of most celebrity deaths, so this didn’t register on my radar, possibly because most movie star deaths were overshadowed by big ticket political deaths.
I guess the big surprise is actually that a lot of the things I thought I would hate ended up just not being an issue. Otherwise, X-Men: First Class was the only thing that really went against expectations and blew me away. Glee still sucks.
Get angry and read more Boiling Point