Now, I’m not a huge fan of CGI. I still stick to my guns over classics like 101 Dalmatians or Heavy Metal when it comes to quality animated films for families. What I do like, though, are monsters, Kiefer Sutherland, and tall women. With that in mind, I slipped on some sweet InTru 3D glasses and settled down for a little ride courtesy of Dreamworks Animation.
10 Things I Liked
10. Renee Zellwegger. I thought it was pretty awesome they got a name as big as Zellwegger to come in for what was basically 4 lines. Funny scene too.
9. Comedy Mixture. Plenty of jokes for adults here, but even more for the kids. Considering I have the mind of a 12 year old, I was laughing non-stop.
8. Stephen Colbert. Always funny and his coffee maker/world destroyer button set up was great.
7. Stupid Gallaxhar Clones. I loved how they came out half-baked and were so easily fooled.
6. Hugh Laurie. Why this man isn’t in more movies, I do not know.
5. Origin Stories. It was cool how everyone got a brief origin story reflecting their classic monster roots.
4. InTru 3D. Right now, easily the most comfortable glasses on the market.
3. Explosions. Speaking of action, the battle scene between the army and the robot was awesome. It made Independence Day look like 13 year old movie… heh. But seriously, the action looked amazing.
2. Seth Rogen. I’m on record probably 17 times about how I’m tired of this guy, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind he was the perfect choice for the role of B.O.B. Utterly hilarious.
1. Would you like a gun? Yes I would. My favorite lines from the whole movie, really cracked me up. Loved it.
5 3 Things I Didn’t Like
5. What, no Werewolf? I guess we got Missing Link instead, but come on!
4. Lack of Spaceships. To fully channel the 50s era, there should have been dozens of little UFOs zipping around over major landmarks.
3. Robot Fight. Overall I dug the robot stuff, but the fight between the Monsters and the Robot lacked tension, but then again it’s not the main threat of the movie.
Well. I can’t really think of 2 other things I didn’t like. The movie is what it is – a good, fun flick for the whole family. I wasn’t crazy about Reese Witherspoon, but she won me over by the end so I wouldn’t feel right criticizing her. The cast was great, the plot was straight forward, the jokes were aces. Other than the lack of tension in the Robot Fight, the movie was pretty solid and I would just be a nitpicking a-hole if I sat around for 3 hours trying to figure out something else I didn’t like.
So if you’re looking for some light hearted popcorn fare or something you can take the kids to and enjoy as well, Monsters vs Aliens is an easy winner in those categories.
What did you think of Monsters vs Aliens?